Sunburned Lips? The most painful, irritating phase that we all relate with at some time is sunburned lips! In this case, many people want to know How to treat Sunburned Lips by using natural ingredients at home.
Sunburned lips are the state of the skin where it gets inflamed, flaky, unusually red or swollen if exposed in the sun rays for a long time or being in the scorching heat even for the shortest time. Of course, we will enjoy our time at the sea-beach, right? But while we are having the time of our lives, we are also making a way for the serious consequences and it is got to sting! Sunburns can occur in any area of the body left uncovered like lips, face, hands, throat skin etc. But, sunburn on lips is likely to be the most common situation.
Lip skins are very thin as well as sensitive and it carries less melanin which is supposed to protect it from sun rays. Human skin is not designed to cope with the UVA & UVB rays of the sun, so they react out, which results in burning pain and goodbye to our usual comfort!
Blister on Lip Not Cold Sore
It often gets confusing between cold sores and sunburned lips blisters as their looks and sensations are a lot similar. But cold sores blisters tend to be itchy and grayish or red wounds combining small pimples. If it’s cracked, some clear liquids will emit.
Whereas the sun blister on the lip is white, liquid filled balls and sun blisters on lips are not contagious. Sunburn lips symptoms appear like:
- Flaky skin
- Blisters, filled with liquids
The symptoms of sunburn blisters on lips will start to show up within a minimum 15-20 minutes and it will settle down in its full shape in 24-48 hours. You may also feel a little feverish or a headache, even nausea, but these are rare symptoms of sunburned lips swollen.
Sun poisoning on lips is the next level of sunburn where it takes a severe turn. It happens due to excessive sun exposure, based on skin conditions and skin complex. The symptoms and triggers can be the same as sunburn, only it will be more evident and severe. In addition, usually these symptoms show up:
- The high touch sensitivity of skin
- Rashes or hive bumps.
It requires medical treatment as it causes critical damages to the skin. If you don’t treat sunburned lips the Sun blister on lips can leave a bad effect on lips forever. So it is assertive to go for medical help when it comes to dealing with sun poisoning. Always try to avoid excessive sun exposure.
Another Sun Rash From Sun Exposure
Polymorphous light eruption (PMLE) is a common type of rash caused by heavy sun exposure, occurring mostly in summer. The rash comes in small bumps or an area of red, rough, raised patches on the exposed skin. This sun rash usually starts to show up within 30 minutes at least, and they tend to heal on their own within a week two, leaving no scars. However, those with skin allergies or any type of skin sensitivity might need to consult with a doctor if the rashes do not heal with the time being.
How to Heal Sunburned Lips
Sunburn doesn’t require medical treatment most of the time. But, it usually heals on its own, with the help of some natural medical ingredients. Here are some easy ways to treat and soothe the sunburned lips at home. The sun damaged lips treatment is ideal for all.
1. Aloe Vera for Sunburned Lips
Do we need to brief about the goodness of Aloe Vera gel? Everyone is aware of it & even know how good it is for our skin. It’s anti-inflammatory and soothing properties make it the best ingredient to take care of sensitive & irritated skin indeed. So, now it’s time to use it for our lips as well! Like skin, it also helps to soothe the sunburned lips & keeps it hydrated.
- Just scoop out the gel from the leaf.
- Gently massage it on the lips.
- Repeat this method daily till the time you get relief.
2. Chamomile Tea Bag
What do you do after sipping this favorite tea of yours? Just throw away the bags, right? Instead, next time when you brew a fresh cup of chamomile tea for yourself, please keep the tea bags in the freezer.
- Keep it on your lips for a few minutes the way you put the bags under your eyes.
- Use this process 2 times daily to soothe lips.
3. Soothe with Tomato
This is one of the preferred ingredients when it comes to soothing sunburned lips & lightens it. Similarly, you can use the same to soothe your lips as well. It’s anti-inflammatory & antioxidant properties work effectively to heal lips sunburn and replenish them.
- Just mix 2 tablespoons of fresh tomato juice with 4 tablespoons of buttermilk.
- Apply on your lips for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with clean water.
4. Heal with Oatmeal
This anti-acne cum natural exfoliating ingredient works equally well to get relief from sunburn as well. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help to rejuvenate your lips & keep it hydrated too. The remedy is pretty simple too.
- Take 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and keep it on a muslin cloth.
- Tie a knot & put it in the boiling water for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Just massage gently the affected lips with this muslin packet every day to get relief.
5. Lettuce Leaves
Lettuce leaves are rich in anti-analgesic & anti-inflammatory properties which are extremely efficient to soothe your aching lips.
- Take a few lettuce leaves and put in the container.
- Now add 2 cups of water in it & boil for 10 minutes.
- Once it’s cooled down, soak the cotton pad or ball in it & gently wipe the lips with it.
6. Cold Compress and Ice cubes
Nothing beats the power of cold compress when it comes to comforting inflaming skin!
- Dip a soft cloth or towel in a bowl of cold water.
- Gently press it against your lips.
- Repeat this several times.
- In case of ice cubes, wrap it in a soft cloth and gently rub against the lips.
- You will find extreme comfort as the cold soothes down the inflammation and reduces the swelling!
- Do this process several times throughout the course of the day.
7. Heal with Cucumber Slice
Cucumbers are rich with moisturizer and anti-inflammatory proportions.
- Cut a fresh cucumber into slices and apply them over the lips until they get warm.
- Replace the warm pieces with fresh ones. By doing this you will be giving your lips a soothing comfort as the cucumber slices reduce down the swelling as well as the irritations and burning.
- Do this 2-3 times a day or whenever you need relief from inflammation.
8. Manuka Honey Benefits
Honey is always the best when it comes to soothing. It is anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and contains antioxidant. So applying it on the skin will soothe the wounds, relieve from the irritation and inflammation and keep bacteria off the lesion. Among the many varieties, Manuka honey is scientifically proven to be extremely helpful when it comes to healing burns, wounds or inflammation. Manuka honey comes with a label of UMF counts which varies from UMF5+ and up to UMF20+. The higher the rating is, the more pure, effective and expensive as it gets. So, try to buy Manuka honey UFM 16+ or UFM 20.
- Apply Manuka honey directly on the lesions and gently rub on.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and then do it again.
- Repeat doing this from time to time around the day.
- Keep using it till the sunburnt lips get completely healed.
9. Potato Slice
The benefits of using raw potatoes on your lips are surprising! As a matter of fact, it’s contain healing properties that work fast against burn or inflammation caused by heat.
- Wash the potato well and cut into slices.
- Apply the slices over the blisters and keep them for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat this again.
- Do this 2-3 times a day until the lips get completely well.
What to do & what not to
- Use SPF lip balm: The most important thing is applying a quality lip balm before going out in the sun. Try the lip sunblock containing a high level of SPF.
- SPF works as a protective shield against the sun rays. Nowadays you will find many lip balms which contain SPF factor as well to protect the lips. You can find lip balms with many SPF levels up to 50. But if you don’t prefer some factory products over your lips, make your own SPF lip balm at home by following just some easy methods.
Caution: Remember to apply this balm before 20 or 30 minutes of going out.
- Avoid sunlight: Try not to be in the daylight of scorching heat, especially in the noon. It is proven that the sunlight from 10 a.m to 4 p.m carries the UVA and UVB rays at its peak. So, use an umbrella and apply sunscreen if you go out. Sometimes some people have an allergy problem and can have a rash from sunscreen. In this situation, you can apply a trusted branded sun allergy cream.
- Drink a lot of water: Do not forget to drink a lot of water every day! It will help your skin tissues to stay hydrated and prevent cracks.
- Use vitamin E oil: Generally we use petroleum jelly to keep lips smooth, but in this case, it’s best not to use this. Petroleum jelly will only worsen the situation. Use vitamin E oil or coconut oil to soothe sunburnt lips. You can use it before going to bed or after.
- Don’t gnaw the lips! : If you have the habit of locking wing or picking the lips you better quit this now! It will make the skin crack more and more, as well as cause bleeding and sores.
When to See a Doctor
Hence a question may come to your mind, how long for sunburn to go away or how to treat on sunburnt lips? Sunburn is usually healed on its own and sunburned lips healing time maybe 1 week to heal. You have to apply the remedies thoroughly to heal fast. However, if it doesn’t take a good turn in 5-6 days or you are experiencing uncommon symptoms like constant fever or nausea, then it is time to go and see a doctor.
Q: Can your lips get sunburnt?
A: Yes, due to excessive exposure to sun rays for a long time, even if for the shortest time without any protection, your lips can get sunburned.
Q: How to treat sunburned lips?
A: Sunburned lips can be treated by applying some natural home remedies & following some rules or by medical treatment.
Sunburned lips tend more care and proper application of the remedies. However, prevention is always better than cure. So try to follow the tips and keep the chance to get sunburned lips off your daily life!